Rev Adrian Stone Tel:
Curate: Becky richards tel:
Local Lay Minister: Wendy
Tel: 01785 246782
Churchwardens: Dr Anne
Tel: 01785 246101
and Mr Robert Collier
Tel: 01785 664025
1st Sunday 11.15am Holy
Communion, 3rd Sunday 11.15am Morning Prayer. See Church News.
Services are based on the Book of Common Prayer
Please come along and join our worship in these
historic country churches.
The joint Church Magazine is available at the back
of Ingestre & Tixall Churches. It has been
replaced by a monthly newsheet delivered
to every household.
St John's Church at Tixall is
part of the Lichfield
and the United
with St John's, Littleworth and St Mary's, Ingestre.
has been a church at Tixall since at least the 12th
century, when it was a
free chapel under the jurisdiction of the Dean of the
Collegiate Church of St Mary, Stafford.
Simon Wakelin provides the earliest physical link
with the present church, although
in fact the building he knew was two rebuilds before
the present one. Fifty pounds was left in his will
for the white marble, oval memorial in the
north aisle, although he
had asked to be buried near the altar. Simon Wakelin
was the only son of
William & Dorothy Wakelin of Uttoxeter, and was
Rector of Tixall from
1680 until his death, aged 38 in 1697. He left a
paten and a chalice of
silver to the Church.
1817, Clifford records “Against one side of the
chancel is an oval monument of white marble ...” The
memorial was probably moved to the north aisle when
the Church was rebuilt in 1848.
small Communion Cup given to Simon by his mother in
1689 is still used. The large paten and chalice
donated at his death are kept at the Lichfield
1772 an earlier small stone church was rebuilt “in a
very plain style, and
of less than its former dimensions.” The new Church
was “a small neat edifice calculated to contain
about 80.” It had box pews.
church was built in 1848 by the Hon. John Chetwynd
Talbot, 3rd son of Charles Chetwynd, 2nd Earl Talbot
of Ingestre, as an act of piety and to be his
mausoleum, and was consecrated on Whit-Tuesday 1849.
The architects were T.H.Wyatt and David Brandon of
London, and “the Church has a little altered
Victorian Interior in the Early English
style.” It is built of local keuper sandstone
with a roof of Staffordshire blue tiles.
The floor tiles are by Minton and include an
interesting motive at the nave crossing
commemorating the consecration of the new Church in
John Chetwynd Talbot: JCT ; The Date:
MDCCCXLIX, ie.AD1849; James Tyrer, Churchwarden: JT;
Victoria Regina: VR Crowned; 2nd Earl Talbot: T
& Peers Coronet;
William Webb, Rector: WW
The Rood Beam with its central figure of Christ
Crucified, was erected in 1921 in memory of the five
local men killed in the 1914-18 war. This
is recorded on an alabaster tablet. The oak beam
came from Ingestre, and
the two additional limewood figures of Our Lady and
St John, were added
in 1952 in memory of Frederick John Nesbitt, his
wife Marion Eleanor, and
their son Humphrey John Stuart.¸
Chetwynd Talbot died on May 26th, 1852, and on
Whit-Tuesday 1852 his mortal remains “ found an
appropriate resting place in a vault, which” “he had
caused to be constructed underneath the Chancel.”
This is recorded on a bronze plaque on the right of
the sanctuary in a special stone niche, and adjacent
to a similar memorial to his wife.
Unfortunately when she died in
1876, she left instructions that she and her husband
were both to be
buried at their home in Markbeech, Kent, as recorded
on another plaque in the sanctuary.
stained glass windows in the Chancel are by Bennett
& Son of York. All the windows were restored in
1992. The East window, shows scenes from the life of
St John, and the smaller windows on the south side
of the Chancel show
a Priest of 1849 at Holy Communion and at Baptism.
The South Window nearest
the east end commemorates the Rev. Ralph Turner who
was Rector from 1742
until his death in 1760. The West Nave window, is in
memory of the two
young wives of George Woodward, who both died at
Tixall Hall in childbirth,
Anne Jane in 1845 and Anne Deaville in 1851.
Graves outside include various servants of the Aston
and Clifford families of Tixall Hall, including the
oldest gravestone in the Churchyard belonging to
Richard Biddulph who died in 1627 aged 82 having
served four members of the Aston family from Sir
Edward Aston to Walter , Lord Aston.
Several Catholic Chaplains from the Hall are also
buried in the churchyard. All graves, burials,
baptisms and marriages have been recorded and
information relating to any surname can be supplied
in return for a donation towards the Church, from
Anne Andrews, Tel: 01785 246101 or Email:
page book on Tixall's Churches is available from Dr
A.Andrews, 2, The Hanyards, Tixall, Stafford ST18
0XY for £5 including Post & Packing in the UK.
This also covers the Catholic Chapel, St Thomas's
Church at Castlechurch and Francis