Aerial photography and recent investigations show Bronze Age activity in Ingestre with two Round Barrows and a Ring Ditch to the west and a complex of cropmarks including an enclosure and two concentric ring ditches to the east in the river valley. It has been suggested that the name Ingestre comes from the Ings or flat meadows, by the River Trent.

      Domesday, in 1086 records Robert of Stafford having 3 hides at Ingestre valued at 15s. It had previously been held by Godwin and Wilgrip, freemen, and was held by Hugh in 1086. There was land for 4 ploughs, 9 villagers and 2 smallholders with 2 ploughs; 6 acres of meadow; one part of a mill valued at 10d; and woodland 1 league long by 3 furlongs wide. Ingestre is the only instance in Staffordshire where a part of a mill is listed.

Ingestre Hall in 1686 The manor of Ingestre then passed to the De Mutton family, whose heiress carried it in marriage, in the reign of Edward III, to Sir John Chetwynd, whose descendants became Barons Talbot, and in the year 1784, John Chetwynd Talbot, who had succeeded his uncle (William, Earl Talbot) in the barony, was created Viscount Ingestre, county of Stafford, and Earl Talbot, of Hensol, county of Glamorgan. [W.White, (1851) "History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire"Sheffield quoted by Genuki.]

    Ingestre Hall was built in 1613 by Sir Walter Chetwynd on the site of an earlier manor house which he completely pulled down. Sir Walter's grandson, another Walter, was known as the Antiquarian as he was well read, a historian and a mathematician. He was MP for Stafford and was also a patron of architecture, commissioning the rebuilding of Ingestre Church in 1673. In 1678 he became a Fellow of the Royal Society, alongwith Sir Christopher Wren.
    At the death of Viscount Ingestre in 1767 without male issue, Ingestre passed to his daughter, Catherine, who married John, a younger son of Lord Chancellor Talbot - 1st Lord Talbot of Hensol. ( 3 miles south of Llantrisant in Glamorgan) On Catherine's death in 1785, Ingestre passed to her son, John Chetwynd Talbot, 3rd Lord Talbot of Hensol, who was created Earl Talbot and Viscount Ingestre. Lady Ingestre, wife of John Chetwynd Talbot, who died in 1793, was painted by Joshua Reynolds in 1789.

Shrewsbury Coat of Arms    Thereafter the history of Ingestre was linked to that of the Chetwynd Talbot family. In 1856, the 3rd Earl Talbot, an Admiral and Lord in Waiting to Queen Victoria, succeeded his distant cousin as the 18th Earl of Shrewsbury & Waterford - Premier Earl of England and Ireland.

   In 1960 the 21st Earl of Shrewsbury sold the Estate, with different lots going to different buyers including local tenant farmers and Sandwell Metropolitan Council. The 22nd Earl of Shrewsbury lives nearby, but no longer owns any land or property in Ingestre.

Top of Page 

Last Updated 14.7.2009

Main Index
Ingestre Index and Location 
Tixall Index
Local Information
Ingestre with Tixall Parish Council
Ingestre with Tixall Parish Council News
Village Hall
Village Hall News
Ingestre History
Ingestre Church
Ingestre Hall
Ingestre Pavilion
Other Listed Buildings at Ingestre
Ingestre & Tixall Local History Group
Ingestre External Links