The Rector is
the Rev.Adrian Stone Tel: 01785 253493
Ann Kelly, The Vicarage Tel: 01785 224634
Local Lay Minister: Keith Eaton
Tel: 01785 602482
Churchwardens are: Mr
Tel: 01889 270329
and Mr Trevor Field-Williams
Tel: 01889 808157
are normally held on the 2nd and 4th Sundays in the month at
11.15am using the Book of Common Prayer services.
Matins on the 2nd Sunday and Holy Communion on the 4th Sunday. See Church News.
Church at Ingestre is part of the Lichfield Diocese
St John's, Littleworth and St John's, Tixall.
There are references
to a chaplain at Ingestre in 1305, and to the advowson of Ingestre
Church in 1307. Originally it was a Chapel of Ease, established by the
Lord of the Manor with the Bishop's consent, as Ingestre was too far
St Mary's, Stafford for people to walk there regularly for services.
In the late 15th century,
between 1485 and 1509, William Chetwynd built a chapel on the waste of
Ingestre dedicated to St Erasmus, a Bishop & Martyr from about
300AD. The chapel was endowed with lands to maintain a priest, and soon
famous for its adjoining, medicinal salt springs. It was visited by the
lame and diseased, with the walls hung about with crutches. In
it was valued at £10 - 16s - 8d, compared with Tixall nearby
at £8 - 7s - 4d.
The exact site of
this earlier Chapel is not known, but some of the stained glass was
reused in the present Church, after the Chapel had been taken down in
The Church of St Mary, Ingestre is
a Grade I Listed Building, finished in 1676, and reputed to be to a
design by Christopher Wren. The foundations were laid in 1673: "
mill'd shillings, halfpence and farthings, coyn'd that year, being put
into hollow places cut fit for that purpose in the large corner stones
of the steeple, by Mr Chetwynd himself and other gentlemen."
The Church was
August 1677 with the Bishop baptizing a child, churching a woman,
joining a couple in matrimony and burying another, all on the same day
- no wonder it had taken some time after the completion of the building
in 1676 to arrange all these together. The idea was to emphasize that
this was a Parish Church, and not a private Chapel for the Chetwynd
The exterior is all
and the west door has Tuscan columns and a pediment leading from the
into the church. There is a plaque recording the dedication of the
by Walter Chetwynd in 1676 and the Chetwynd Coat of Arms. The exterior
the tower is decorated with garlands, a balustrade and urns. Inside the
is black and white marble and there is a very fine stucco ceiling. The
has four arcaded bays with Doric Columns on tall square bases.
The pews, originally box
pews, are of Flanders Oak. There is a handsome screen decorated with
the Royal Coat of Arms, and a richly carved pulpit with tester by
Grinling Gibbons, signed with his open pea pods.
installed in 1886, 4 years after the fire at Ingestre Hall.
There are some
excellent late17th century and 19th century mural tablets and other
monuments recording members of the Chetwynd family, including a fine
1918 monument to Viscount Ingestre by Countess Feodora Gleichen
The font is marble with a contemporary
All graves and monuments
have been recorded by the Local History Group, and these records
alongwith all burial records for Ingestre have been entered on a
database. Searches by name can be carried out for a small donation to
cover expenses and towards the upkeep of Ingestre Church. Contact Anne
Andrews Tel: 01785 246101 or Tixandrews@hotmail.com for further details.
Ingestre Church Website